Monday, August 15, 2011

In Need of So-Cal Launch Ramp for Hobie 20

Its funny how some things on the web seem very difficult to access.  Looking for places to launch a beach-cat has been difficult due to the lack of information about fees, locations and so on.  This mirrors the problems that I have had researching schools where even Wikipedia doesn't really provide much light.

I wonder if internet searches are not the "oracle" that they are perceived as.  All algorithms have limitations, and I feel that due to the increasingly commercial and sophisticated nature of google's search algorithm, it is creating more marketing opportunities than true valuable searches.  I still think google is pretty much the only option unfortunately (as other engines seem to merely mirror their results) but I think there is still much room for improvement in relevance. 

1 comment:

  1. There used to be a lot of Hobie launches in Malibu; might be worth looking into. The times I sailed at Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach were great; they have a launch ramp there, but I'm not sure if non-members can use it.

    Milly knows some International 110 folks in Long Beach as well; they too can probably provide leads.

    Searching the Internet nowadays seems to be more of an art than a science, true.

    ReplyDelete