Monday, August 8, 2011

My Hobie 20 (now named Jasmine) was sailing along yesterday

Thanks to generous help from Mr. Mark Darley (http://www.markdarleyphoto.com/) I got Jasmine (what I have named my H20) up and running yesterday on Tomales bay.  I had issues with the rudder cams which are now plastic (delrin is not good in this application as it fractures too easily...) and very susceptible to jamming.  I had forgotten my spring force adjustment tool for preloading the rudder lock cams, and Mark pointed out that there was an additional adjustment feature atop the rudder casting.  I hadn't ever considered loosening the 1/2 inch head to reposition the casting side of the locking feature, but after he pointed it out, we were able to get the rudders locked down and they worked well.

I substituted felt for the pintle bushing (also delrin and easy to loose) that I dropped while rigging.  Felt works well in a number of applications on this boat, including as a liner for the daggerboard trunks.  On a previous post I left a link to APS's site where I ordered some carpet material for lining the trunks as well.

After struggling to hook the mainsail off, we flipped the boat on it's side to hook it.  The halyard ring was close, but not inclined correctly to flop onto the mast head hook, so next time, I'll have to confirm the orientation of the halyard ring (knot away from the mast?) and try to get it right.

I learned alot after the rigging fiasco as there was a strong wind blowing around IYC, 10 miles inland from the mouth of Tomales Bay.  I haven't been cleating off the main sheet, but in these strong winds, as long as I have confidence on my ability to blow the mainsheet if necessary, it seems perfectly safe to do so.  The high tide was at 730, and that was around when we returned, after about 2.5 hours of sailing and almost reaching Hog Island.

As far as rig tension, I had the side stays on the fourth hole (about as much as I could tension them using my own weight on the trap-harness) and the forestay was on the top hole of the adjuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment