Sunday, January 22, 2012

2012 in Edinburgh

Coffee Stand in St. George's Square: Large Double Cappicino is  2 pounds 70

Spitfire on static display at EDI (Edinburgh Airport)

EDI Tower




Sleet and freezing rain greeted me on my return to Edinburgh in early January, after a hard transfer through Heathrow. I barely made my connecting flight through Heathrow despite having a full 2 hour layover! The reason was the woefully inefficient passenger security procedures. Every stage had problems.  It took about 45 mins. to clear a malfunctioning passport check line.  It took a full hour to scan my carry-on luggage. I  had to change terminals which took about 30 minutes, and was like being in a pin-ball machine as the bus careened to-and-fro. When I arrived in Edinburgh, I quickly hopped in a cab, and sped off to my apartment.

Now back at school, I am readjusting to student life in a medieval city.  The wind rips through the narrow streets, often at 50mph gusts which acts as a extra power boost in some cases, and a sudden impediment to forward progress in others. All of this dramatic weather makes calm, sunny days like today all the more valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment