Sunday, December 18, 2016

Securing the Furling Hobie 20 Jib - Tack and Halyard tie off points. Still Struggling.

Update - August 2017: I made a soft shackle that I think solves this problem. More in a forthcoming post.

I took these photos quite a while ago, but the problem of how to effectively raise and lower the furling jib remains with me. At issue is how to secure both the halyard, which lives inside the zipper luff pocket around the forestay, and the tack. My Furler is perhaps an older model and there is literally one French Wichard shackle that can fit around it's girth and still have a small enough pin to go through. I usually try to shackle both the halyard end and the tack to the same shackle, but the tension is too great for that, and I often resort to using two shackles. The photos below should make this easier to understand. In theory the sail has a jam cleat that can accept line and "cleat off", but I haven't been able to make mine secure without slipping under sail.

Note the tack secured with captive pin Wichard Shackle.
 The black and white spectra line is the halyard after the extension line is removed following hoisting.



A peak at the red EP spinnaker made by the original sailmaker for the Hobie 20 - Skip Elliot and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment