Monday, August 7, 2017

Revere 85 8mm Projector - Filming the screen.

Last weekend, I broke out Grandpa's old 8mm projector in an effort to digitize some of the many reels that we have in the family archive. It was a thoroughly enjoyable process and I was quite impressed by the result. 

My first trial was to take my iPhone and simply film the screen, and this works pretty well. The reel filled about 15 mins which I split into 3 segments to allow me breaks to stretch -- I was stagnant holding the camera for the entire time! Next I will get a tripod to hold the iPhone so that I can film the entire reel in one sitting. There are a few childhood favorites coming up including Wacky Weed and The Snookum Bears. All of these of course are without sound, which has a kind of appeal really. I used iMovie to add text to identify the clips. It worked reasonably well.


Revere 85 - 8mm Projector
Feeding film into the projector taking care to align teeth and flick appropriate tensioners into place.
Three places to lock the film into place. Top, Projector proper and bottom. Thread the bottom reel as shown.
Order of turning on projector is: Motor, Clutch, and then bulb.
(Don't wait too long with the bulb on before you engage the clutch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment